Old July 15th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nicola Redwood Nicola Redwood is offline

Default Hearsay

"MartyJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Piccadilly line tunnels have not suffered serious damage contray to
some reports that claimed they were structually unsound. However the
scene on this line is one of carnage and has been described as pretty
horendous.

You are looking at the Piccadilly line being closed for while but for
it to be closed eight months would be highly unlikely, though it is
unlikely to be re-open in the near future.

In terms of Kings Cross, the Northern line platforms may remain closed
for Safety reason especially as the main access is via the Piccadilly
line escalators. After the fire at Kings Cross in 1987 the Northern
line platforms remained closed for a further eighteen months for safety
reasons as it was felt too dangerous to direct everyone down the
Victoria line platforms.

Martin

Martin
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:33:11 +0100, John wrote:

I hear that the H&C could be 2 months before it is back in order (worst
case because they don't know the tunnel status until the police vacate
site and Piccadily is anything up to 8 months if the tunnel needs a
rebuild - comments?

None of what you have said aligns with anything already published by TfL
/ LUL. I have heard no mention whatsoever of the timescales you are
talking about and I would have expected to have done so if we had an 8
month closure to deal with.
--
Paul C

From what I heard on the news tonight, the cabling that runs through the
tunnels is a bit of a problem, as there are very few diagrams /
documentation on it. I should imagine a good team of electrical engineers
working things out in time.

BTW I do know that LU, Tube Lines etc. have a lot of the original
Underground diagrams, maps etc. on Altris (document management and imaging
system) - the originals of some of this paperwork are at the LT Museum. I
haven't seen any of it, but I used to work in IT at Tube Lines