Old July 15th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Thomas Covenant Thomas Covenant is offline

Default Tube staff experiences on 07/07

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:30:57 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

snip
I do not know and have not seen anything that says what happened next by
way of bus services in Greater London. Were buses taken off London wide?
Did TfL instruct this, did the bus companies or did the drivers take
buses back to be security checked?

From my own very limited experience on the day it seems that buses were
not running into Islington until mid afternoon.which is when I got to
the Angel having resigned myself to a 10 mile walk home. Watching the
buses on the 38 and 73 starting to roll it was clear that they were just
coming back into service not that they had been running over part of the
route in Zone 2 and beyond. I later saw and managed to catch a
Stagecoach bus home but again it was hard to say if that had been
running all the time or had just started service a little earlier. It
also seemed that the bus service in Walthamstow was badly disrupted
which seems to support a view that says buses beyond Zone 1 were also
taken off the road. All of the above is my guesswork though - not
definitive evidence to use in any further argument.

From a contact at First (Northumberland Park).
"Centrecomm put the call out banning all buses from Zone 1.
Drivers on routes 91, 341 and 476 were instructed to return to NP for
safety (security) checks. No other routes were instructed to return to
the depot.

At about midday, the 60 buses that had returned to the depot started
leaving again. Only three drivers refused to go back out and finish
their duties.

The 341 and 476 were operating between Northumberland Park and
Newington Green, the 91 Crouch End to Holloway, and the 259 Edmonton
to Holloway. Controllers were positioned at each terminal to assist in
further security checks.

341 was restored to Waterloo from about 1530.

There were, however, problems later in the day when some drivers
booked for late turns failed to arrive, for whatever the reasons".

HTH

--
Thomas Covenant
Please observe Reply-to address.