Old July 17th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default A4 Tram

Paul Weaver wrote:
I stumbled across this plan
(http://www.lrta.org/london-Hounslow.html), involving a tram from
Hammersmith to Heathrow along the A4. They say that it would reduce
traffic on the A4 by 20%, however I understand it would take up one
lane in each direction (33%) of the road capacity, therefore
*increasing* congestion.

I looked on alwaystouchout and I couldn't find the project!

There's also a Heathrow-Kingston tram mentioned too.

These proposals were originated by the London Borough of Hounslow in
2002, and were launched not long before the local council elections.
See
http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/shownews?...27-02-2002.htm

They had come up with two routes that neatly served most parts of the
borough, without resolving key questions about the termini which lay
outside the borough. It was unclear whether, and if so how, the tram
would serve the Heathrow terminals, how it would get to Hammersmith
without taking lanes off the A4 or clogging up Chiswick High Road, and
how it would get to Kingston through fairly narrow roads and across the
Thames. In fact even the council admitted to me that the Kingston
branch would not be a priority for further investigation.

We haven't heard much about the scheme since then.

--
Richard J.