Old August 28th 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Paul Dredge Paul Dredge is offline

Default Old LT Garages

"Nick Hewitt" wrote in message
om...
Hi people. This is a bit long, so please bear with me. I am trying to
track down a number of past & present ex-LT bus garages. They are :-

1) The original Kingston garage in Richmond Road. Where on Richmond
Road was it?

This is the garage that closed in 2000 and is now a cinema complex. Richmond
Road was renamed Clarence Road at some point

2) The ex-Metroline garage somewhere on Victoria Road, between Gypsy
Corner and Old Oak Lane (Not to be confused with the PRESENT depot on
Atlas Road just off the northern end of Victoria Road)

The old R & I tours garage? It was on the one way system just off the A40.
It closed in 2000 and I believe is being redeveloped.

4) Where are the Mitcham Belle Darts garaged? There is no way they can
get into the yard at 223 Streatham Road. I have found a Mitcham Belle
depot, just south of Beddington Lane Tram stop, but it looked
deserted.

The buses are at the DETR depot on Redhouse Road Croydon

7) Exactly where on Shrubland Road was Dalston Depot? I have walked
the full length of it, and there is no evidence that there was a depot
here. For some reason the street name “Ivydene Avenue”
comes to mind, but that name does not appear in my A-to-Z.

Was on Iveydene Road. I believe the whole area has been redeveloped totally.

8) Sovereign Buses had a depot somewhere in Borehamwood, in the days
when it was called BTS (BT survives as a depot code for vehicles
allocated to Edgware). Where was this depot in Borehamwood?

By the station. Again the area has been redeveloped removing all trace of
previous use.

11) The depot that effectively replaced Loughton appears to be Debden,

with codes DB and DD. Where is it? Someone told me that it is in
Langston Road, but when I went there, I could only find a lorry park
where there were some buses parked. Surely this cannot be it?

Wrong. Loughton closed in May 1986 due to various tendering losses. The yard
(lorry park as you say ) that Arriva Shires park the buses for their
tendered services in is a fairly recent addition.

12) The original Uxbridge depot (before the present one next to the
tube station) was in Denham Road. Exactly where?

Funnily I drove along Denham Road yesterday and couldn't see any sign of the
old depot. I believe it was about a mile or so out of town

13) Am I correct in assuming that the site of the Sidcup Garage (at
Foots Cray) is now occupied by a LIDL store (who have also built
stores on the sites of Hackney(H), Hanwell(HL) and Rye Lane Peckham
(RL)

Yes

Hope this helps

Paul