Old July 19th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim \(moved to sweden\) tim \(moved to sweden\) is offline

Default A4 Tram

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"tim (moved to sweden)" wrote in message
"Tadej Brezina" wrote in message

A tram's capacity is abt. 22 thousand passengers per hour [1].

Quite apart from the fact that this looks unbelievably high (22
trams per hour with 1000 pax each, how many pax can you get
in a single tram?)

ISTR trams can run with something like 40 second headways!

Perhaps they can for a short stretch of track, but I don't think
that I've ever seen anything close to this on the whole length of
a single line. Anything more than one tram about every 2 minutes
causes bunching at traffic lights [1] and stops. This bunching clears
when separate routes diverge, but if they all go to the same place
the service become unworkable at this frequency.

[1] and there will still be lots of these!

tim