Old July 19th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan \(in Brussels\) Alan \(in Brussels\) is offline

Default a driver's experience

In the message oups.com...
"Boltar" wrote:

"I was offered counselling, I haven't found I have needed it so far but

if I
need it it is always there. I'm back to work next week."

Must be a very composed guy. Not sure I could go back to work that
quick after being 10 feet from a bomb while doing my job.

Maybe the driver has read:

"Beware victim mentality, say psychiatrists
The key to coping with the London bombings is not therapy, mental health
experts insist, but talking to friends. Jo Revill reports

Sunday July 17, 2005

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...530287,00.html

Londoners should not be encouraged to think of themselves as victims because
it could exacerbate mental health problems later on, according to experts
who are beginning to study the psychological impact of the bombings.

A survey of 1,000 people across the capital will begin tomorrow as
researchers start to assess how citizens are coping psychologically with the
after-effects of the attack.

At the same time the mental health trusts in London have joined forces to
launch a 'screen and treat' programme aimed at identifying those most
affected by the bombing - the people who were in the vicinity when the bombs
exploded.

Psychiatrists are keen to encourage resilience because they see it as the
best way of preventing future health problems. They learnt from the New York
experience when excessive therapy was used. Mandatory counselling was given
to all firemen and police officers in the wake of the 9/11 attack, and far
from alleviating symptoms it appeared to increase problems.

Professor Simon Wessely, an expert on Gulf War syndrome and wartime stress,
said: 'You have to distinguish between the people who were right there at
the time of the bombings and the general public. The former group is far
more likely to have individuals who will suffer post-traumatic stress
disorder and who do need intensive help.

'But there is no reason for us to think that hundreds of others will be left
with illness. There are dozens of studies to suggest that people are pretty
resilient. The single thing that will most help them is to have family and
friends to whom they can talk.'

SNIP rest of story