Old July 19th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Tunnel damage

On 19 Jul 2005 12:38:38 -0700, "mtveurope" wrote:

by the way... if they only have problem with the cables why does circle
will be working soon? does that line don't have cables? (I know it's
not so close to the train, but they're still there, don't they?

I have not seen any detailed information but both of the Circle Line
bombs took place in wider tunnels and the trains are of a different
profile to those of the Picc Line. Therefore the outward effect of the
explosions would seem to be less. As there is more space in the sub
surface tunnels then it is possible that there is less cable damage. All
tube lines have a range of cables running alongside to provide
telephone, communication, signalling and power supplies. The amount of
cabling is potentially more complex at junctions and all of the
explosions took place near junctions or crossovers so there is a clear
need to be careful in clearing / cleaning / repairing the sites so that
more damage is not caused in the short run.

There will be important issues to consider in what is restored in what
order to ensure a logical and safe approach is taken, that the
infrastructure is in a resilient state and that the safety regulators
can be confident on behalf of the public that the railway is safe to
reopen. People will naturally be concerned / nervous about travelling
over the bombed sections of line so a fully safe and reliable railway is
needed to provide reassurance to London's tube users.

Although I can be accused of being biased as I work for LU I think the
progress thus far has been very good in trying circumstances. I look
forward to having the railway back and working properly. People need to
be patient even though I can understand why people may be getting
"hacked off" with disrupted journeys and overcrowding.

--
Paul C