Old July 19th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Loony Tune Loony Tune is offline

Default Tunnel damage

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"mtveurope" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just read this from the tube's website on the ask tube section
"Question

When will the Tubes be returning to normal after the events of 7 July?

Answer

We will not be in a position to add to the current level of service on
the Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines for a
number of days.

The service on the Piccadilly line will remain suspended between Arnos
Grove and Hyde Park Corner for the foreseeable future.

Following agreement with the Police, the Victoria line is now stopping
at King's Cross/St Pancras. The Northern line will start stopping at
King's Cross/St Pancras again from Monday 17 July."

Why is so much of the Piccadilly line closed? I'd have thought they could
run trains to within a station or so either side of the blockage. Or does
the damage to the cable between KX and RS have a knock-on effect on *all*
of the section north of KX? Is it a matter of where there are crossovers
to allow southbound trains to turn back at (say) KX to return north? You'd
think that at least Arnos Grove to Finsbury Park could be run, so as to
feed outlying passengers into the Victoria line and the NR lines into KX
and Moorgate.

Not knowing the line geography (except it goes to Heathrow) I'd say it's to
do with reversing points. I'm sure that these are the most time efficient
places to reverse. Maybe there's sidings or cross overs to enable a quick
turn round and thus still give a reasonable service to the rest of the line.

Loony T