Old July 20th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nicholas D Richards Nicholas D Richards is offline

Default Tunnel damage

In article , Robin Mayes
writes

Yes, the cable run suffered from extensive damage. Don't forget that even
once the signalling cables have been replaced, extensive testing needs to be
carried out to ensure the rewiring is done correctly. Luckily, most of
Aldgate was resignalled during the late 1980s so the diagrams should be
available.

Having recently retired from a life time of supporting, modifying and
replacing 'legacy' IT systems allow me to express some doubt. Most
'legacy' IT systems are less than ten years old and their documentation
invariably leaves much to be desired, no matter how good it was when the
system was implemented.

The two pointers that I can see to suggest there might be problems are
age and the fact that responsibility for maintenance has been
transferred to an out-sourcing company. When ever a transfer takes
place, there is a dreadful tendency to 'rationalise' documentation and
in so doing loose the essential data.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"