Old July 20th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Tunnel damage

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:52:27 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[snip]

You'd need to use some intelligence to set up a suitable system. Why are
you so defeatist?

Roland - I was trying to give a flavour of the issues involved. I am not
being defeatist at all.

Whatever system is designed has to be easy for the public to understand.
Having watched the utter confusion at Kings Cross when the first train
on a Sunday arrived from Heathrow - this reverses as I am sure you know
- I am convinced a more intensive proposition would not work. People on
the arriving train were non plussed as to what to do for stations beyond
KX on the Picc Line and I also watched people trying to get onto the
normal westbound platform, which is locked up at that time of day, who
then refused to believe suggestions from me and station staff that the
train on the "wrong" platform is really the train they want. Multiply
that a few thousand fold and you have a mess.

I make my contribution to this group voluntarily to try to help people
understand. I really don't need criticism for trying to be helpful.
--
Paul C