Old July 20th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Tunnel damage

In article , Paul Corfield
writes
On 19 Jul 2005 05:21:39 -0700, wrote:

Boltar wrote:
Well, at the Saturday press conference two days after the bombing Tim
O'Toole stated that the Piccadilly line tunnel was intact,

Just from what I've seen in the media and by the consequences of the
bombs it seems to me that they weren't all that powerful (otherwise
the carriages would have completely annihalated and no one inside
would have survived) so I suspect damage to the tunnels (which are
built a lot stronger than the trains) is probably limited to damaged
cabling and track.

Cabling can be a problem though. It was on the news a while ago. The
reason the Northern Line took so long to get working last time that had
an accident was that they didn't have any up to date wiring diagrams.
If the Piccadilly line is the same then that could take a while too.

This is correct but removal of the train will have to be done very
carefully to avoid causing even more damage to cables and other parts of
the infrastructure.

Half of the train at KX has been removed to Cockfosters depot while I am
told the Edgware Road carriages were being taken away by low loader
today having been craned out.

A large proportion of what I assume to be the Aldgate train was still
sitting in Liverpool St station westbound circle platform hooked up to a
guards van this morning.

--
Steve