Old July 20th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Tunnel damage

wrote:
Given that London has continued to function without a Circle Line, I
wonder how much thought, if any, has been given to abolishing the
service altogether? Line Controllers tell me that If one discounts that
caused by security alerts, late running has effectively disappeared
from the District and Met Lines, now that so much inner-London
conflicting flat junction working has ended. On my own recent journies
to & from work, it seems incredible not to lose up to 10 minutes
traversing the Whitechapel - Tower Hill section of the District whilst
waiting for the passage of Circle and H&C trains.

I do wonder where all the passengers have gone. I'm currently getting
the Central line in daily from Shepherd's Bush to the City, and I
haven't noticed any real increase in the number of passengers getting
on. I would've expected increases at interchanges like Bond St and
Oxford Circus for people diverting from the northern part of the Circle
(I know a Met service is running but surely it must be packed?), or
perhaps even Piccadilly passengers from further out diverting via or
switching to the Central instead.

In any case, the eastbound AM peak Central service increased from 24 to
27tph this week, which may have helped.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7