Old August 28th 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Old LT Garages

In message , rob
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In message , rob
writes

Afraid it wasn't! The old trolleybus depot and adjacent buildings were
located on the east side of the District/Picc. tube station.

Ah, thanks. Presumably the front was facing north onto the Broadway
itself? Looking again at the photo I mentioned I can see that the
traffic island would be one of those that used to run down the middle of
the Broadway.

I think you may be getting confused over roads here.

Not so much getting confused as making a wrong assumption. I presumed
you to mean that the trolleybus depot was at A, but you are saying that
it was B:

Broadway
^
--------------- ^ -------- -------
X ^ | |
District X A | |
& Picc. X | |
Station X | |
X B |
| |
| C |

The old trolley bus depot (later BEA Coach base) was located where Butter
now is, I.e. on the eastern side. Thus it backed on to the District/Pick.
railway lines.

OK, but what I cannot understand is that before the one-way system was
constructed, the road that is now Butterwick (marked C above) is shown
on all the maps I have of the area (including the 1948 A-Z) as a narrow
dead-end alleyway called Foreman Court.

Now, the photo that I mentioned shows the garage in 1960, and that could
well be Butterwick that the trolley is turning into. But surely the
garage pre-dates the one-way system by some years, in which case how
would there have been access down Foreman Court?

Incidentally, I notice that the photo shows what appears to be a police
lamp to the right of the trolleybus garage - is that a clue or a red
herring?

--
Paul Terry