Old August 28th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Old LT Garages

In message , Robin Cox
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
news

It has an extraordinary history - worth recounting for those that don't
know it. The garage was originally constructed in 1736 as Bradmore
House, a Georgian manor house built in the grounds of the huge
16th-century Butterwick House.

(snip)

Fascinating.

I remember it as a Post Office and had no idea of its transport connections.

And nor did I when I lived in Hammersmith (just off Brook Green) nearly
30 years ago - in those days the inner part of the one-way system was a
mixture of hopeless dereliction combined with distant glimpses of the
1940s (remember the tar-stained Clarendon?). I still think the Broadway
Centre is a monument to much that is worst in local-authority planning -
50 years of indolence followed by a rush to create a maximum-revenue
cliff-face of mediocre buildings encompassing a bus station that was too
cramped from the outset.

The fact that there is decent architecture only yards away (The Ark, St
Paul's Church, Hammersmith Bridge, the RIBA-plaudited Surgery and much
more) only serves to highlight by contrast the vacuity of the final plan
for the Broadway Centre.

Some recent (taken today) pictures of what's left of Bradmore House are he
http://www.robincox.pwp.blueyonder.c...ore_house1.jpg
http://www.robincox.pwp.blueyonder.c...ore_house2.jpg
http://www.robincox.pwp.blueyonder.c...ore_house3.jpg
http://www.robincox.pwp.blueyonder.c...ore_house4.jpg

I don't know how you managed to get such traffic-free photos on the
Hammersmith one-way - house2.jpg in particular seems to capture
something of the original!

--
Paul Terry