Old July 21st 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Bob Wood Bob Wood is offline

Default More bombs??

In oups.com,
Pat Ricroft typed:

Bob Wood wrote:

LT are reporting "Code Amber". All trains being stopped at
platforms and evacuated to ground level.

Just out of interest, how exactly does this work? I can't help feeling
that there are usually more trains on the system than there are
stations, and that therefore some trains get stopped between stations.
Do they detrain people in the tunnel and get them to walk along to a
station? Or do they hold trains in the tunnel until the train ahead
has been emptied and shunted forward?

I don't know exactly how it works, but I think that there are more trains
than stations only in your imagination. I am sure that some body will be
along in due course to give us the exact numbers.

I doubt if there would very often be two trains before a pair of stations,
but it's not difficult to imagine that at times there could be a train in a
station when the order to evacuate was given and another one already have
left the station behind. The choice would then be to move the first one
into the tunnel to let the next one arrive - or to evacuate into the
tunnel through end doors (but this couldn't happen while the power is still
on - or to pull the second train up to the back of the first train and to
evacuate through the front end door of the second train into the rear end
door of the first train and then through that car to the platform.

--
Bob