Old July 21st 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Ross Ross is offline

Default More bombs?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:13:56 GMT, Neil Williams wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:42:03 +0100, Ross
wrote:

Without extremists, there is no terrorism.

A very wise statement.

Thanks.

[...]
I'll give the Government
some credit (rare, that) for *not* overreacting to either incident.

Must admit I was surprised, but I think that because it became clear
so quickly that this was a bit of a damp squib, it would have been
difficult for them to make a panic situation out of it.

Listening to BBC News 24 this afternoon there was an almost palpable
sense of disappointment (on the part of the anchors) that nothing
bigger had happened.

I am, however, very disappointed (but not surprised) by some of the
rubbish that is being spouted by some members of the Great British
Public, including people seriously suggesting the idea of baggage
scans on LUL and buses, and someone in this week's Milton Keynes
Citizen suggesting that ID cards would in some way have helped prevent
either of these sets of attacks.

As time goes by I become less and less enamoured of a significant
proportion of the Great British Public. I think it's partly due to
living in a city which is struggling to handle the year 2005 with
attitudes better suited to 1965, so perhaps I need to get back to a
big city where there's a tad more understanding of different cultures.

[1] An uncomfortable truth, but one we have to understand if we're
going to get anywhere near solving the issue. There is an
unwillingness to accept that seeking to understand terrorists and
their motivation is not the same thing as supporting them,
particularly among readers of low-end gutter tabloid newspapers.

Well, the writers of articles for publication in low-end, etc. I'm not
always sure how much attention people pay to the crap written in some
of the tabloids, beyond using it justify views they already hold. I
don't think people's opinions *change* as a result of the tabloids;
they just become more firmly held.

--
Ross, Lincoln, UK

We're *not* afraid