Old July 22nd 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london
MartinM MartinM is offline

Default Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

David Martin wrote:
MartinM wrote:
there is nifty little thing Petzl have just brought out, basically just
one of the spiky ratchet thingies from a croll that clips to a krab and
makes an instant prusic (sp?) ideally you would have two buy you could
manage with one if you moved a fig8/Stop up below it. Only a few quid
and an essential bit of emergency kit if you don't have a full SRT rig.

Extra weight and no use for anything else.. It is perfectly possible to
use a normal climbing rack to do SRT, just takes a bit more ingenuity..
As it is perfectly possible to abseil without a specific abseil
device.

Sorry, I'm a caver not a climber, what is a climbing rack? (presumably
nothing like a descending rack)

As it is perfectly possible to abseil without a specific abseil
device.

again the only thing which springs to mind is an Italian hitch (not
recommended) what other methods are there?

BTW I am all in favour of improvising because e.g. incidents on non SRT
trips are exactly where you may have to.