Old August 28th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
rob rob is offline

Default Old LT Garages

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , rob
writes

In message , rob
writes

Afraid it wasn't! The old trolleybus depot and adjacent buildings were
located on the east side of the District/Picc. tube station.

Ah, thanks. Presumably the front was facing north onto the Broadway
itself? Looking again at the photo I mentioned I can see that the
traffic island would be one of those that used to run down the middle

of
the Broadway.

I think you may be getting confused over roads here.

Not so much getting confused as making a wrong assumption. I presumed
you to mean that the trolleybus depot was at A, but you are saying that
it was B:

Broadway
^
--------------- ^ -------- -------
X ^ | |
District X A | |
& Picc. X | |
Station X | |
X B |
| |
| C |

The old trolley bus depot (later BEA Coach base) was located where Butter
now is, I.e. on the eastern side. Thus it backed on to the District/Pick.
railway lines.

OK, but what I cannot understand is that before the one-way system was
constructed, the road that is now Butterwick (marked C above) is shown
on all the maps I have of the area (including the 1948 A-Z) as a narrow
dead-end alleyway called Foreman Court.

Now, the photo that I mentioned shows the garage in 1960, and that could
well be Butterwick that the trolley is turning into. But surely the
garage pre-dates the one-way system by some years, in which case how
would there have been access down Foreman Court?

Incidentally, I notice that the photo shows what appears to be a police
lamp to the right of the trolleybus garage - is that a clue or a red
herring?

--
Paul Terry

Foreman Court ran between the garage and the railway. Butterwick road was
created when the garage and surrounding buildings were demolished. Prior to
that all traffic travelled around what is now the one-way Queen Caroline St
(to the west). I have re-checked and I stand slightly corrected in so far as
the garage ran roughly north/south, I.e. parallel with Foreman Court/railway
and its entrance was actually from Great Church St. I think therefore that
the trolley you mention is turning into that Street. Unable to establish if
the original Police Stn was also in that area. Hope this makes sense.

Robert Griffith