Old July 23rd 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london
Stephen Glynn Stephen Glynn is offline

Default Groan - Why are rucksacks so darned popular?

Trust No OneŽ wrote:
Travelled on the Piccadilly line for a few of stops this morning.

It seemed as if virtually every man and his dog (and cat for good measure)
waiting on the platform was toting a rucksack!

Just as well I'm not of a faint heart or prone to paranoia otherwise I'd be
digging a foxhole in my back yard!

Encouragingly though the volume of passengers on my Piccadilly line tube
into Central London from Heathrow looked at normal Saturday levels. I
remember that shortly after 9/11 the Piccadilly line tubes into Central
London looked like ghost trains.

Possibly to do with the fact that the USA cancelled all international
flights, many of which fly into and out of Heathrow, for a few days
after 9/11 and that, even when flights resumed, many Americans were
initially rather leery about flying?

Steve