Old August 28th 03, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport
Tim Southerwood Tim Southerwood is offline

Default BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message ...
There has been a power cut, affecting the Tube and trains
BBC News Reports:

Wow - I just missed that, having got the 18:57 from Victoria.

Not at all clear what happened. Various media reports are pointing to
massive failure either at Wimbledon or New Cross. Another report
mentions a failure in a 275kV ring around London. I'm not paying much
attention
to detail until someone with a clue make a statement.

Where I live (Sutton) was not affected (power comes from down south
perhaps?).
Where I work (S Kensington) wasn't affected either - or at least my
work place wasn't - I was dreading the prosect of finding serveral
dozen servers dead - but no, they're still there (phew).

I have a feeling that the de-regulation of the power indutry may have
something to do with this. There has been some fairly gross stupidity
evident in what used to be a very resilient power system since
de-regulation. If doubt I usually blame the Tories ill conceived
privatisation plans for most things -
and New Labour for not reversing them (but that's just me).

Then again, maybe it was a genuine fault or terrorist action - guess
we'll
find out soon enough.

At least, by all accounts, there was some fairly rapid evacuation of
parts of the tube this time, instead of leaving the poor sods to stew
in the tunnels.

Cheers

Timbo