Old July 24th 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 21:49:40 on Sat, 23
Jul 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
Bearing in mind that the lid of the City Thameslink tunnel has buildings sitting
on it (and ISTR seeing the lid was below the level of Farringdon Road), I think
the line is virtually level from Farringdon to the start of the "new" incline and
the relocated bridge over Queen Victoria Street.

Isn't there a slight incline northbound out of City Thameslink?

Modern street levels are no real guide, since Farringdon Road sits on
top of the Fleet River and the area around Smithfield Market has been
heavily modified over time.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if Fleet St has changed level much,
and that continues across Ludgate Circus to Ludgate Hill. Today the line
goes under Ludgate Hill (City Thameslink Station is underneath and
accessed by escalators). Previously, the line went over Ludgate Hill, of
course.