Old July 24th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Derek ^ Derek ^ is offline

Default Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:22:06 GMT, "Peter Lawrence"
wrote:

I'm especially intrigued by the Smithfield GW goods station, which I
presume was under the meat market itself.

It is now an underground car park; its approach ramp from West
Smithfield is that built for the goods station.

I've also heard of a rowdy
boozer located in the bowels of the market, patronised by the market
workers, which if it's still open I might try and explore when I'm
feeling brave!

Dunno about that - I have never dared to explore the car park or had
need to use it.

It's a fairly innocuous well lit place usually attended by one guy in
the kiosk. I've never been challenged even going backwards and
forwards to the car repeatedly whilst servicing in nearby St. Bart's
Hospital.

There's a pedestrian entrance in the wall a few paces down the ramp
which opens onto a footbridge which nowadays only spans a couple of
rows of parked cars. AFAICS that's all that remains of it's railway
origins, save that trains can still be heard through the walls.

DG