Old July 25th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot

Neil Williams wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:45:35 +0100, steve
wrote:

One the penalises the selfish. Box junction blocking causes
congestion.

It does. *But*, often, the box junctions are poorly-designed such
that it is easy, by a slight misjudgement, to end up being stuck in
the box inadvertently.

I agree. I think many of the boxes are larger than necessary, filling
the whole space between the stop lines on either side of the junction,
rather than just leaving a gap in the middle. The result is that
drivers realise that there are parts of the box that can be occupied
without affecting traffic flow, and that the capacity of the junction
would be reduced if the law was rigidly observed. If we're going to have
zero tolerance of yellow box offences, then the boxes need to be more
sensibly drawn.
--
Richard J.