Old July 26th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successfulpilot

Neil Williams wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:45:35 +0100, steve
wrote:

One the penalises the selfish. Box junction blocking causes congestion.

It does. *But*, often, the box junctions are poorly-designed such
that it is easy, by a slight misjudgement, to end up being stuck in
the box inadvertently. That needs the junction to be redesigned, not
for lots of people to be fined.

I disagree. Most of the prats that go out into box junctions with their
exit blocked know exactly what they are doing and just don't give a
damn. Ditto for the ones that run red lights (and I would like to see
very much tougher penalties for that offence which endangers life).

Ideally the cameras should cover both if they are installed.

My personal view is that I am against traffic enforcement cameras, and
would rather see more police officers out enforcing the law, and using
discretion as appropriate. An increase in the level of fines would go
some way to funding this.

Box junctions help make traffic flow freely and prevent congestion.

I have lived in countries where they do not have this concept at all.
Traffic utterly ignores traffic lights at rush hour and a solid
herringbone of interlocked vehicles develops. They needed 2 or 3
policemen on every junction in the city for 2 hours morning and evening
to try and prevent complete gridlock. They spend most of their time
flailing arms uselessly in the air and blowing whistles. It is funny to
watch...

Regards,
Martin Brown