Old July 27th 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Tom Haliax Tom Haliax is offline

Default Laughing Jackasses on the Railways

"Ross" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:50:52 +0100, James Farrar wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:21:09 +0100, Ross
wrote:

work, I can catch a Southern train, or I can take about three hours
travelling on multiple buses. Since I don't propose to spen a quarter
of the day commuting, I have no option.

Bike.

Asked and answered.

Didn't notice, sorry.

Car. Motorbike.

Do you propose to buy me one?

If you'll buy me one in return.

You can buy me a house too, whilst you're at it.

Car travel in particular would be more expensive than rail travel,
even if there were zero running costs. (A month's C-charge is more
expensive than 1/12 of a Gold Card from my station).

What you mean is that "I have another option, but I don't wish to take
it because it is more expensive", not "I have no option".

Rather different things.

Terry Harper has said there are alternative vehicles which don't
attract the full congestion charge. I'll take his word for that, and
simply suggest that there are options that you are, for whatever
reason, unwilling to acknowledge.

--
Ross, Lincoln, UK

Now now. Don't be silly. Accept that for options to be viable they have to
be realistic rather than theoretical.
Think of sensible realistic options.
For example buying a hybrid car to beat a congestion charge would be silly.
Say 220 working days per year x £5 = £1,100. Rather less than the
depreciation of an expensive hybrid car so to most salaried p.a.y.e.
employees it's not in any realistic sense an option.
When I worked in central London my options for getting to work were proper
train, District Line or motorbike and I used them all from time to time.
Theoretically I could have walked, cycled, used several buses ( oh I forgot
two buses and tube could be done but that would have been a pointless waste
of time) or even used my car but in no practical way were they options that
could reallistically exercised on a regular basis. So they were not options
except in some daft schoolboyish arguement.

We're *not* afraid
http://www.werenotafraid.com