Old August 29th 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Power Cut

3518+3227 wrote:
Richard J. wrote in message ...
If that is true, there is something seriously wrong with their
procedures for a power outage. There's no point in having a
standby power station that can be powered up quickly if they
start detraining people into the tunnels.

I suspect that what they really mean is that Greenwich probably *was*
brought into use, but that it wasn't possible to switch power on to
many sections of line because people had already been detrained.

I can see no good reason why the detraining of passengers should
prevent Greenwich being brought into use.

Small matter of electrocution perhaps? My point is that if Greenwich is
meant to burst into life with its fast-start gas turbines, doesn't that mean
that traction current can be restored in a matter of a few minutes? If so,
they should not proceed to detrain passengers on to the tracks straight away
because then they can't use the traction supply when Greenwich provides it.

--
Richard J.