Old August 29th 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
rob rob is offline

Default Old LT Garages

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , rob
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

OK, but what I cannot understand is that before the one-way system was
constructed, the road that is now Butterwick (marked C above) is shown
on all the maps I have of the area (including the 1948 A-Z) as a narrow
dead-end alleyway called Foreman Court.

Now, the photo that I mentioned shows the garage in 1960, and that

could
well be Butterwick that the trolley is turning into. But surely the
garage pre-dates the one-way system by some years, in which case how
would there have been access down Foreman Court?

Foreman Court ran between the garage and the railway.

That makes sense to me.

Butterwick road was created when the garage and surrounding buildings
were demolished.

So what is the trolleybus in the photo that I referenced turning into as
it leaves the (not-demolished) depot?

Prior to that all traffic travelled around what is now the one-way
Queen Caroline St (to the west).

But how did west-bound traffic get down to Queen Caroline Street?
According to maps of the era there was no access from Hammersmith Road
until after passing through the Broadway and turning left after the
District/Piccadilly station.

I have re-checked and I stand slightly corrected in so far as
the garage ran roughly north/south, I.e. parallel with Foreman

Court/railway
and its entrance was actually from Great Church St.

I'd be happy with the N-S alignment, but if its entrance was in Great
Church Street, this would make it co-terminus with the bus garage that
was re-named as Riverside in 1950 specifically in order to avoid
confusion with the trolleybus depot somewhere else in Hammersmith - this
is the very confusion that the OP had hoped to resolve. I now don't know
now if we have helped or added to that confusion!

The Great Church Street depot is shown at
http://www.piccadillypilot.co.uk/hmbus/HMbsgrg03.jpg

and it seems to me very obvious that this is totally different from the
bottom-left picture of the Hammersmith Trolleybus depot shown at

http://www.trolleybus.net/resume.htm

--
Paul Terry

Riverside garage (Bradmore House) as shown in the above mentioned pic, had
its entrance in Great Church St and its exit in Queen Caroline St. It was
(and still is) to the west of the railway lines.
Hammersmith Tram Depot, later the Trolleybus depot, was also located on
Great Church St but, on the east side of the railway lines. Referring to the
above mentioned pic, it was roughly where the modern building on the right
hand side of the pic is.
Not altogether surprising the two were close to each other bearing in mind
their histories - one an old omnibus garage and the other a tram depot.
As to the trolleybus pics, I guess they were taken showing the vehicles
turning into Great Church St.
Incidentally there is an excellent book giving the histories of all LT bus
garages written by J Joyce published by Ian Allan. I can recommend it! End
of advert.
Robert Griffith