Old July 31st 05, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Automatic tubes?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:35:10 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Maybe, but I can think of various ways of achieving that automatically.

Certainly if (as is likely outside the UK) people are disciplined and
refrain from blocking sensors to hold doors open.

Something similar is used on bendy buses in Hamburg. The rear door is
on a timer with a sensor in the step. If someone is standing on the
step (thus, it is assumed, trying to board), the door remains open.
After the step is cleared and the time has passed, it closes and the
driver can depart.

IMX, it has only been when the bus has been crammed full and people
have accidentally stood on the step that this has caused delays. I
never experienced anyone doing it deliberately. In the UK, I expect
the scallies would soon realise...

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain