Old July 31st 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Warwick Gardens at night

Does anyone know the reason that Warwick Gardens in Kensington has a
barrier over it at night, preventing traffic moving from north to
south. En-route home I normally leave Wood Lane heading North, then
either go down South Africa Road (bad for suspension) or the A40/North
Circular to the M4.

Of course on Thursday night the H&C bridge had closed Wood Lane, so I
had to go south to Shepherds Bush. I decided that I'd drop down Holland
Park towards Earls Court. I was surprised when I couldn't go straight
across out of Addison Road, and had to take a right past Olympia, as
there were barriers accross the entrance to Warwick Gardens.

My map (2003) doesn't show that this is a restricted road. What time do
the barriers get lowered? As there is no right-hand-turn from north-end
road (even if there is no traffic coming the other way and you don't
stop to make the turn), it leaves the choice of the middle of
Hammersmith (watch out for the drunken revllers) or (as I and another
car did on Thursday) a turn in Beaumont Avenue south of West
Kensington.

I think tomorrow night I'll continue round and drive through some
residential streets in W14 if the mayor and his cronies insist on
closing major thoroughfares.