Old July 31st 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Warwick Gardens at night

In message .com, Paul
Weaver writes

Does anyone know the reason that Warwick Gardens in Kensington has a
barrier over it at night, preventing traffic moving from north to
south.

To reduce the amount of night-time noise in a wealthy (and clearly
influential) residential area.

My map (2003) doesn't show that this is a restricted road. What time do
the barriers get lowered?

Not sure, but its around 10.30pm

As there is no right-hand-turn from north-end road (even if there is no
traffic coming the other way and you don't stop to make the turn), it
leaves the choice of the middle of Hammersmith (watch out for the
drunken revllers) or (as I and another car did on Thursday) a turn in
Beaumont Avenue south of West Kensington.

You went the wrong way. The alternative route (which I think is
sign-posted) is turn left from Addison Road into High Street Ken, and
then turn right into Earl's Court Road. It is actually hardly any longer
than the usual route at that time of night.

I think tomorrow night I'll continue round and drive through some
residential streets in W14 if the mayor and his cronies insist on
closing major thoroughfares.

The barrier has been there for at least 15 years (and probably quite a
bit more than that) - long before Ken & Co.

--
Paul Terry