Old July 31st 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberly Peter Frimberly is offline

Default Warwick Gardens at night

On 31 Jul 2005 09:59:07 -0700, "Paul Weaver"
wrote:
Of course on Thursday night the H&C bridge had closed Wood Lane, so I
had to go south to Shepherds Bush. I decided that I'd drop down Holland
Park towards Earls Court. I was surprised when I couldn't go straight
across out of Addison Road, and had to take a right past Olympia, as
there were barriers accross the entrance to Warwick Gardens.

Should have gone left as the signs all say (they change when the
barriers come down). Then turn right at the Odeon Kensington. Exactly
the same distance, just the other two sides of the same rectangle. The
lights at the Odeon appear to follow a different pattern at night to
accomodate the extra right-turners there at this time.

If you really really want to drive down it, just do as the residents
do and turn left towards High St Ken and make an immediate U-turn, the
road you are talking about is not barried off from traffic heading
West towards Hammersmith. But since the alternate route is fine it's
really only people that live in the actual street that need to do
this.

My map (2003) doesn't show that this is a restricted road. What time do
the barriers get lowered?

They lower at 22:30, occasionally I've been passing when they do so,
on a slightly long red phase.

The current barriers are new, but there's been an automatic barrier
there, closing at 22:30 for decades. It doesn't need to be on a map,
the alternative route is perfectly good enough.

I think tomorrow night I'll continue round and drive through some
residential streets in W14 if the mayor and his cronies insist on
closing major thoroughfares.

What nonsense. The road you're talking about IS entirely residential
and I expect that is why it closes to straight-on traffic at night. I
would expect that the barriers were put in when they made that whole
Warwick Avenue one way thing happen, as part of winning the residents
over to the idea.