Old August 3rd 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Warwick Gardens at night

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Terry Harper wrote:

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:31:12 +0000 (UTC), Mike Bristow
wrote:

When using _your_ figure of 120 pax per minute per lane - which is
somewhat optimistic and assumes ideal conditions - you still get a
answer which says that a 3 lane motorway has the same capacity as the
central line.

The fallacy in your argument is the comparison of cars with a full
train. You ought to be comparing 80-seat coaches with a train to get the
true figure.

Wrong. We're not talking about idealised fantasy busways here, we're
talking about transport corridors as they are found in the wild -
motorways really are full of cars carrying an average of ~1.5 people each,
and tube lines really are full of trains carrying 500 people each (the
620 pax/train number i used is the planned capacity; actual passenger
loads are actually even higher than that).

With a 2-second interval, that is a coach every 176 feet at 60 mph or
about 4 coach lengths. If you can get that density of seating (not
seated and standing) on your train, you will be doing very well.

Well, if you're going to start running 1800 bph with every seat full, i
hope you don't mind if i increase the frequency of my trains to something
equally ludicrous to maintain my lead .

tom

--
No hay banda