Old August 4th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Earl Purple Earl Purple is offline

Default Warwick Gardens at night

Dave Arquati wrote:

Yes, perhaps. We now have these sites which are poorly accessible by
public transport and hard to serve with it, so some way must be found to
make the use of the car to access them more efficient. However, we can
avoid repeating the mistake by stopping extensive new road construction
and holding back construction in areas only accessible by car. The M25
has encouraged a wide pattern of orbital car commuting across the South
East which is virtually impossible to cater for attractively with public
transport. Any new urban motorways in London will similarly encourage
new car-based orbital commuting around London for which it will be very
difficult to provide an attractive public transport competitor.

One last point. A waste of money is to build a road and then nobody to
use it. If you open a store and it fills up with shoppers then it is a
success.
If it reaches over capacity you'd probably want to open another one,
not claim it as a failure and decide not to make the mistake again.

The M25 is not the failure so many claim it to be. (Particularly the
anti-car lobby).