Old August 5th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Thameslink 2000 Blackfriars

In message .com, at
09:18:37 on Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Mizter T remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
snip
I wonder why they can't simply scrap the terminating services and send
them all to Victoria instead.

Because a lot of people use them (including me)! And if they went to
Victoria you'd land in an entirely different part of town.

Boo Hoo. Change onto a train that goes to Cannon Street, or onto a
Thameslink. Most of the country can't choose which London terminus to
travel to, people sarf of the river are simply spoilt!

The terminating services at Blackfriars are not the only obstacle to
Thameslink 2000. A (if not the) major problem is the portion of double
track that passes Borough Market between London Bridge and Metropolitan
Junction (the spur that leads up to Blackfriars) - for TL2000 to work
this needs to be 4 tracked.

OK, that's two candidates for the "major problem" now (a new bridge and
station, or your double tack).

In addition it should be noted that it's only the Thameslink trains
coming up from Brighton and Gatwick via London Bridge that needs to
cross the path - the Thameslink services from Sutton via Herne Hill are
already on the right tracks as they go through Elephant and Castle.
Though it is of course the Thameslink services from Brighton that are
the intended beneficiaries of TL2000.

Indeed.