Old August 14th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default North Finchley Bus Station opens today

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:06:53 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

Brings back fond memories of the Arndale Centre bus station in
Manchester until it was "closed down" by the IRA...

Or Blackpool shudder. On the subject of the Arndale I have no idea
why that was actually closed by the bomb - I don't believe it was
terminally structurally damaged - I think GMPTE just realised what a
hellhole it was and started using the road outside instead, which was
hardly a lot better...

Some of GMPTE's more recent "big greenhouse" bus stations (e.g.
Oldham) seem to me to be the way to go if a bus station is what you
actually need rather than just a few strategically-placed good-quality
shelters. Preston also isn't bad, just very dated (and is also built
under a car park!) The refurbished Chorlton Street in Manchester (OK,
it's a coach station) is also rather nice.

I think the key is that, regardless of where the passenger
accommodation is located, the buses, or at the very least their
exhaust pipes, need to be outside, and it's really a lot better if
some kind of automatic door is provided between the passenger
accommodation and the buses.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain