Old August 14th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cheeky Cheeky is offline

Default North Finchley Bus Station opens today

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:48:28 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:06:53 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

Brings back fond memories of the Arndale Centre bus station in
Manchester until it was "closed down" by the IRA...

Or Blackpool shudder. On the subject of the Arndale I have no idea
why that was actually closed by the bomb - I don't believe it was
terminally structurally damaged - I think GMPTE just realised what a
hellhole it was and started using the road outside instead, which was
hardly a lot better...

I think that as part of the masterplan for the bomb-damaged area the
intention was to relocate services from the Arndale/Cannon Street to
the Shudehill Interchange (aka the car park with a bus stop attached)
which will finally open later this year.

Some of GMPTE's more recent "big greenhouse" bus stations (e.g.
Oldham) seem to me to be the way to go if a bus station is what you
actually need rather than just a few strategically-placed good-quality
shelters. Preston also isn't bad, just very dated (and is also built
under a car park!) The refurbished Chorlton Street in Manchester (OK,
it's a coach station) is also rather nice.

Although Piccadilly Bus Station is still a total disaster. A skim of
the draft Local Transport Plan for Greater Manchester seems to suggest
that they are going to re-do it yet again. That''ll be the fourth
incarnation in a decade!

Apologies to all you Londoners - this has drifted about 200 miles OT!