Old August 17th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Putney River Taxi

chris harrison wrote:
Paul Terry wrote:
Walking past Putney Pier at lunchtime today, I saw some publicity
for a new commuter service along the Thames between Putney and
Blackfriars:

http://www.thamesexecutivecharters.com/rivertaxi.html

Quite good timings, given that there are three intermediate stops
(including a five-minute wait at Chelsea) but not cheap (although
bikes are carried free!).

Good to see them making use of the river, but if you had a bike, why
would you want to pay 6 quid for a one-way service that's slower
than cycling it?

I can think of at least five:
- Not wanting to arrive at work needing a shower
- Not needing to take cycle to work (if storage facilities are
inadequate)
- Not being fit enough to cycle 15 miles in a day
- Perceived safety risk to cyclists on London's roads
- Being able to read/write/phone on the river journey

£6 may be worth paying if you live nearer to Putney Pier than the local
railway stations, or find it a less hassle-ridden journey than SWT or
LU in the rush hour.
--
Richard J.