Old August 18th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan OBrien Alan OBrien is offline

Default Licencing reforms & the tube

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
An idle thought...

The pub licencing hours are currently - as you may have heard... - being
overhauled (finally), with the result that a lot of pubs may well be open
later into the night.

Let's assume that the doom'n'gloom scenario doesn't happen, and we don't
descend into a Tracy Emin reinterpretation of a Hogarth painting. I'm an
optimist on this one - any initial chaos will soon disappear, and we'll be
better off than currently. I hope.

Anyway - The question is... Will LU reflect this in extending the time of
the last trains? It's a bit pointless pubs applying for later licences if
people still have to leave at the same time to get home.

I suppose people will have to drink in a pub near home.

I don't see why the tube should close at night. People will say it is for
engineering work to be carried out. Hooey. EW starts at about 1:00am and
finishes at about 4:30 or 5:00am - and what is done in those 3-4hrs? As
Michael Kenyon showed, very little. The only way to get things done on the
track is by line closures. The Central Line closed last year for months -
unfortunaltely LUL did not have the money to make use of the time to do
large-scale work. But it showed that LUL *can* close a line for a few months
and get everything done.

The Northern Line has at least twice closed the Bank Branch in the quiet
months of July/August to put more speed restrictions in

I say let three or four lines run all night long, with trains about every 10
minutes.