Old August 18th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default NYC and London: Comparisons.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes

Conversely, London never had the el-to-subway transition that built a
lot of the NYC system (there are one or two examples of this happening
in London, though).

I'll probably kick myself when you answer this.......but where are there
any examples of this happening in London?

There aren't - what i was thinking of, but didn't say, was surface-running
to underground transitions. Sorry!

As for that, i believe that some of the sub-surface network (i thought it
was the northern side of the Circle but can't find any evidence for that)
were built at or near ground level, for the use of steam engines, but when
electric trains became available, it was rebuilt underground (presumably
so the land on top could be built on).

It's possible i'm imagining this, though.

tom

--
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage