Old August 18th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default NYC and London: Comparisons.

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

Conversely, London never had the el-to-subway transition that built
lot of the NYC system (there are one or two examples of this
happening in London, though).

I'll probably kick myself when you answer this.......but where are
there any examples of this happening in London?

There aren't - what i was thinking of, but didn't say, was
surface-running to underground transitions. Sorry!

I see what you mean! Sorry for the confusion, too.

As for that, i believe that some of the sub-surface network (i thought
it was the northern side of the Circle but can't find any evidence for
that) were built at or near ground level, for the use of steam engines,
but when electric trains became available, it was rebuilt underground
(presumably so the land on top could be built on).

"Sort of", I'd say.

The Metropolitan line as built has rather more open air sections than
now but I think that the gradual building over had as much to do with
pressure on land as it did with the conversion to electric traction.
Fortunately the two went hand in hand.

(I've always found it difficult to imagine what it must have been like
in steam days on the sub-surface lines. One of those experiences I'd
love to have, just once!)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK