Old August 30th 03, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport
87015 87015 is offline

Default BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East

"3518+3227" wrote in message ...
John Abbot wrote in message ...
Interesting. I thought the Underground still took its juice from Lots

Road
(ie its own dedicated power station). Or is that closed now?

Lots Road is closed, and is in the process of decommissioning. All LU
power supply is now taken from the National Grid, via a small number of
Bulk Supply Points at strategic points around London. Greenwich power
station is retained as a backup supply, normally unused.

Methinks, that in the investigation into what went wrong, the whole question of
how the LUL gets its power supply will be looked into. While I accept that
when the decision was taken to shut Lots Road, the question of "Can the National
Grid cope with this extra loading?" was probably looked into closely, maybe the
answers that they came up with were not widely broadcast, other than a bland
"The system can cope".

Perhaps, LUL (and should I add TfL here as well) could when the Lots Road site
is cleared, put the money from the sale of the site into some new investment in
the power supply. Though wasn't the Lots Road building listed?

Can an incident like this do much for the 2012 Olymipic bid for London? Cynic's
will say it won't, but all I'll say is that it won't go unoticed.

Trevor