Old August 21st 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Good that I ignored Journey Planner...

Paul Terry typed

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Others have made the suggestion of mangling the options to the point
where it is telling you what you already know.

I don't think that's entirely fair, at least without knowing precisely
how Helen primed the search engine.

'HA8 5LW' to 'Royal Albert Hall' at approx 17.30.

For instance, to arrive at the Albert Hall by 19:00 on a Saturday, the
Journey Planner suggests that the quickest route is the one via Green
Park that she rejected:

Leave at 17.21 and arrive at 18.49, with a journey time of 1'28".

Helen's preferred route, using only buses is actually longer - leave at
17.09 and arrive at 18.44, with a journey time of 1'35"

Yebbut we left at 17.55 and arrived around 18.50....

I do find it very odd that to get the wretched thing to do something
even half sensible you actually have to have a pre-existing knowledge of
the transport network that the average person would not have at all.

I don't necessarily think so. Helen knew the route she wanted, but it is
actually a little longer.

Actually, it *was* shorter. Off-Peak bus journeys are faster, Tube
journeys often take longer and every change induces further delays.

Why send people round the houses by tube for a trip that can work well
using two buses?

Because it is potentially quicker using the tube.

Not in reality IME...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.