Old August 30th 03, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East

"Chris Game" wrote in message
Paul Weaver said:

Do you want to pay twice the price for your electricity (and
increase in prices for every industry that relys on electricity)
to prevent a 40 minute blackout to a small area of the country
every 15 years?

Depends where it is. In Cumbria we're used to power cuts of up to a
day, and we are prepared. If the trains stop it's no big deal here.
If you're deep underground in a hot sweaty tube train and you are
less than perfectly fit/healthy it could be serious. But these
individual problems can be designed out - we could run the tube
trains on fuel cells or whatever. Hospitals have their generators.
Stranded passengers could be put up in shelters/halls, or back at the
office. Businesses could move out of central London. These things can
be planned; it's not rocket science.

And I don't think 'layers of redundancy' is an appropriate model.
Load sharing might be.

Chris, you're suggesting that the powers that be engage in some planning are
you??

As "Sir Humphrey" might say, "That's a novel approach, Minister".