Old August 22nd 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Good that I ignored Journey Planner...

Paul Terry typed

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

Paul Terry typed

Helen's preferred route, using only buses is actually longer - leave at
17.09 and arrive at 18.44, with a journey time of 1'35"

Yebbut we left at 17.55 and arrived around 18.50....

But that was only because, as you indicated, the 302 was not running to
schedule - they were only 5 minutes apart instead of the time-tabled 12
minutes.

We actually caught up with the 302 that we'd missed.
Every 8-12 minutes could be more frequent than every 12 minutes.

The scheduled off-peak journey time for the two buses is 46 minutes. You
waited for about 4 minutes for the first bus and about 8 for the second,
and it presumably took 5 minutes to walk to the bus stop. That totals
over an hour ... so if you did it in 55 minutes, the buses surely
couldn't have been running to schedule?

Probably not. Off-peak buses often run rather faster than scheduled.

The journey planner allows ample time for walking and changing, and
assumes worst-case scenarios for waiting. Do you not think that is
right?

Yes, but my experience of using the Tube to Victoria suggests it's
rather 'optimistic'...

After all, if it had told you that the total time was 55 minutes,
and you then missed the start of the prom because it took 1'35" you
would surely be somewhat upset?

Agreed; in reality, we were meeting a friend at the Albert Memorial at
7pm, which built in some leeway. I thought we should leave home at about
6.45. The bus stop is about 100 yards away so it's usually less than 5
minutes' walk. Since I'd made the trip before (I think, possibly before
Ken increased London Bus frequency ;-) ), I thought an hour was a
realistic estimate.

My overall impression is that JP underestimates Tube journeys and
overestimates bus journeys.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.