Old August 29th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Gas (petrol) prices, and public transport.

In message , David Spiro
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In my experience, having driven a Renault with this feature for 10
years, the cruise control can rarely be used on British motorways for
more than a minute or two at a time, since the traffic is far too heavy
(and I think the speeds tend to be rather faster than in the USA).

Faster depends on where you are. Speed limits here in NY state are 65 mph on
most interstates outside of built up areas, but going to say Florida, speed
limits are 75 mph, with cars usually goign 10-15 mph faster in both states.

Nevertheless, inter-city motorways in the UK are mostly very much more
crowded than inter-state highways in the USA. In most parts of the UK it
is rare not to be surrounded by 20 or more vehicles going fast in the
same direction and at close proximity. Some will be going slower, some
will be overtaking (often exceeding the speed limit and then cutting in
suddenly, given the proliferation of speed cameras on motorways). The
notion of the "open highway", which I believe is still relevant in many
parts of the USA, is virtually unknown in most parts of the UK today.

Hmm.....I guess that means you can get away with a lot more here in terms of
deductions for business expenses. Cars are taxed when you re-register the
vehicle every two years, and of course when you get it inspected every year.

In the UK taxes are imposed when you buy the vehicle, when you
re-register it every year, when you pay for insurance, when you pay to
get it inspected (annually after three years), whenever you pay for
repairs and (at a colossal rate) whenever you fill it with gas. In
addition, the Inland Revenue will seek to claw back money for such
perceived benefits as having access to a company car. On top of that,
parking charges and restrictions in many towns and cities are set at a
rate that makes many of us cautious about using the car if alternatives
are available.

For somebody like me, who can afford a small car despite not really
needing it, all of this makes me look to public transport as the better
alternative - even if the reality is that the car occasionally provides
the better alternative. I suspect that this is very different to the
situation in most of the USA, as well as for a significant number of UK
residents.

--
Paul Terry