Old August 30th 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Commuting from London to Oxford for Work

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:40:08 +0100, "Martin Underwood" a@b wrote:

Has Gloucester Green always been just for long-distance buses or did
all/most buses call there at one time. For some reason, the concept of
having one central place where you can guarantee all buses will stop seems
to have fallen out of favour in most towns these days.

It never has been for city buses, only those going out-of-town and
long-distance coaches.

Back way back when, all the city routes were cross-city, and went
direct to Carfax and then on their route, so you had the Botley Road
services, 5, 6, 7 and 7A which all followed the same route west of
Carfax, but fanned out after they had passed St Clements. The No.1 was
the Station to Cowley route. From memory the Woodstock Road service 4
went off down Abingdon Road, while the Banbury Road service 2 carried
on to Headington. I can't recall what the Iffley Road service 3 did,
but it may have carried on up Walton Street.

The central change place was Carfax, with stops in Queen Street,
Cornmarket, St Aldates and the High. I've just been looking at my
photos of Oxford buses from the 1950s, and all those in Gloucester
Green were on country services.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society