Old August 31st 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Liney Dave Liney is offline

Default Oyster pre-pay penalty for incomplete journeys at NR terminals

Robert Woolley wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:44:50 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

The scenario where the card apparently doesn't work but then a staff
member asks you to touch the card on the reader is a significant
problem, IMO. That happened to my friend with his unregistered Oyster;
he was charged £1.70 for a journey he didn't make, and despite speaking
to ticket office staff at two different stations, both said he had to
call the helpline instead - which, of course, wouldn't refund the money
because the card was unregistered. I didn't really understand why not.

Potentially not a full enough audit trail?

Surely there is an audit trail of all journeys and refund requests made
for that card. They don't have the card owner's name and address but
that shouldn't stop them being able to calculate if the refund request
appears genuine or a repeated attempt to scam TfL. Sounds like a policy
put in place by someone who doesn't agree with the idea of unregistered
Oyster cards.

Dave