Old September 8th 05, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jason Jason is offline

Default Oyster on NR

On 25 Aug 2005 08:15:43 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Alan OBrien wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I wonder how many people who refuse Oyster cards are working in the
black economy and don't want their regular 5-day a week journies from
A-to-B recorded?

I think the main reason is that some people live in zone 2 north - say
Kentish Town - but work in zone 2 on the other side of zone 1 - say Canary
Wharf. By buying a zone 2 paper weekly they hope to avoid the fare for zone
1 every day, which with Oyster they can't do;

They can't do it with paper tickets, eitherm when the Revinue Protection
crowd get ahold of them.

They shouldn't do it, as it is fare evasion, but just because you
shouldn't do it doesn't mean you can't do it! I know someone who has
done this, I don't approve of it but I know it can be done. I've
overheard someone else being caught doing it by RP staff when changing
Tube lines at Zone 1 interchange stations ("I though my ticket included
Zone 1" - "No sir it doesn't" etc etc).

Some years ago, I used to travel from the northern end of the Victoria
line to West London, changing to the Piccadilly at Green Park.

There were numerous times when ticket checks were done in the
interchange tunnels, precisely for this reason.

Because of this and other notions about 'Big Brother watching over us'
some people may wish to avoid Oyster. I supsect that some NR stations
that are near Tube stations may see a slight rise in the number of
7DTC's sold, but no subsequent increase in passenger traffic.

Additionally, people with paper travelcards can't have journey start
and end times verified for LU "Customer Charter" claims - another
reason for some to avoid Oyster.
--

Cheers,

Jason.