Old September 9th 05, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default OysterCard PrePay Auto Top-up

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message . com,
Mizter T writes
- And - and this'll surely rile some people here - auto top-up can't be
picked up from a Tube ticket machine, you'll have to actually touch-in
to travel the Tube/DLR in order for it to work.

It was looking ideal for me up to there....... :-)

I join the Underground system at many different stations, so online
topping up has always been a bit of a problem for me, it being difficult
to nominate a station to pick up the "charge" for the card.

I'm sure, though, that I could have managed this just once, after which
the Auto top up charging the card at any station would have been ideal.
However, because I used buses much more than tubes, it would be *much*
better for me to have been able to go to a tube ticket machine for this.
But I can't!

Oh well....... ;-)

Well, there seems to be a possibility that auto top-up will be extended
to buses and trams, at least according to this 'Ask Oyster' answer. I
didn't think that'd be possible, but on thinking about it I reckon it
could be implemented. I guess the instruction for your chosen card to
be debited the set auto top-up amount would be sent from the Oyster
reader on the bus to the central database when the nightly
reconciliation occurs

[1] http://snipurl.com/autotopup_on_buses