Old August 31st 03, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
df df is offline

Default Traffic wardens

David Cowie wrote in message
The people in black and white uniforms, who do they belong to ?
They patrol the A3 red route from Clapham to Soutwark.

Reason for enquiry, is so I know where to send a suggestion.

I want to know why they are (at least 4 of them) always in a
minibus/people carrier, always stuck in the traffic. This is usually
due to some idiot who's stopped on the red route, which I encounter
further up the road.

Surely it would be better for them to be on scooters ?

It's funny you have mention about traffic wardens and their vehicles. I
travel frequency up and down Holloway Road (A1) and there are a number of
traffic warden squads to police the bus lanes and red line routes but what I
don't understand while one person is out giving a ticket to a delivery van
THREE other traffic wardens are sitting comfortable in their Vauxhall Astra
blocking the road. It's so frustrating if a vehicle is blocking a road but
it's even more so to know tax payers are paying 4 traffic wardens wages 1
for issuing tickets, 1 as a driver and 2 for the ride.

As for your first question it sounds to me they are council traffic wardens
providing a steady income for the local councils unknown entertainment
expenses. The ones in black with yellow bands around their caps (pretending
to be Hitler's Police) are supposed to police organised traffic wardens. The
scruffy council estate looking traffic wardens with over sized jackets are
local council.

daveF